Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Grindstone 100 Ultra Marathon

Grindstone 100, what an adventure race! I never even heard of a 100 mile race a year before this even crossed my mind. When I first considered completing Grindstone, it was the end of spring 2013 because I wanted to complete the entire Beast Series (three 50ks in the spring, Grindstone100 in October, MMTR 50 miler, and Hellgate 100k in December). Dr. Horton first got me into running ultras when I took his running class at Liberty University. After my first 50k ultra marathon I was immediately hooked, and wanted to push myself to new limits. As I began to understand more about myself, and how far I was able to push my body I had a strong drive to complete a 100 mile race as a long term goal. I talked to Dr. Horton at the end of the spring semester 2013, and spoke to him about running Grindstone 100 in the fall. Uncontrollable circumstances would arise that would crush my goal to complete the race series. It was not until this year 2014 that I would be able to accomplish my goal of finishing Grindstone 100.


Hellgate 100k 2013

In 2013 I had the goal to be the youngest male ultra runner ever to complete The Beast Series. When I started to settle into my fall semester at Liberty, I was all focused on running Grindstone100. Leading up to the race many doubts were starting to encompass Clark Zealand (the race director) due to the government shutdown. The race would end up being postponed due to the shutdown, and with the continuance of the shutdown the race ended up being cancelled in 2013. This would mean I would not be able to complete The Beast Series, and accomplish my goal of being the youngest male to finish the race series. Crushed by yet another running goal being shattered, I still decided to finish the race series. But now I can say I am the youngest runner to complete The Little Beast.  After I completed the last race of the series last December I wanted to come back the next year with vengeance, to complete the series in its entirety.

In the spring semester of my junior year at Liberty, I was able to finish the first of six races in The Beast Series. Now the fall semester of my senior year at Liberty came Grindstone 100, the toughest race of the series. I have been preparing for this moment for over a year now, and I felt more than ready to complete the 100 grueling miles of what would become a very emotional ending.

On Thursday October 2, 2014 a day before race start my dad had arrived from a six hour drive from Pennsylvania to Liberty. He would be my crew and pacing partner. The day before the race I was in the final stages of prepping for every possible outcome or circumstance that could happen for Grindstone. The day of the race Friday October 3, we made the trek up to the start at the Boy Scouts of America, Camp Shenandoah. We arrived just in time for the race briefing at 1pm. After the race briefing I set up my hammock, and attempted to catch some zzzz before race start at 6pm. An hour before race start I began to ready myself with all of my running equipment. As my dad and I made our way away from the car he prayed for me. After checking in at 5:15pm I was surprised by my friends TJ and Matt who showed up to watch the start of the race. They prayed for me also as I made my way to the starting line.


So the time had come around 5:50pm Friday evening when the race would soon start. Clark prayed and began to ready everyone on the start line with a light drizzle of rain. At exactly 6pm he sent us off on the 100 mile adventure. About 20 minutes into the race the sky let loose and the rain came down. I was soaked within the first 2 minutes of it raining. Anyway, the first section was 5 miles to the Falls Hollow aid station 1 where my friend Adam Townsend headed up the aid station. The sun was still not set as we made the 1.5 mile loop around Hope Lake. As we ended the loop we would say our final goodbye as all 200+ of us entered our way into the mountains. The first 5 miles gave me a little taste of what would soon be ahead. The elevation gain was a little over 1000 feet for the first 5 miles. I was on pace of my goal time of 26-28 hours or around 3-4 miles every hour. From miles 6-10 I got a real smack in the face for what a real climb was, with an elevation gain of around 2500 feet to the Dry Branch Gap. The incline was unreal! But I had no idea what I was getting into ahead, because the worst had yet to come. It took me 2 hours and 20 minutes to run the first 10 miles!
 
The next miles from 11-36 it seemed comfortable to run. I was settled in and cruising through the miles. I had the chance to run with Brian Dibeler who shared some amazing stories with me. As we reached North River Gap, aid station 5 at mile 36.81 we were weighed and we gathered what new equipment or food we would need for what would be the longest climb of the race up to Little Bald Knob and a smaller climb up to Reddish Knob. Before I left the aid station I was greeted by my dad who ran me into the aid station. I let him know how I was doing, and what else I would need from him when I would see him next 30 miles later at the same aid station. It would be another 7-8 hours before I would see my dad for aid again. The climb to Little Bald knob was about 8 miles from 1609 feet to 4016 feet. This climb was one of the most intense climbs I have ever experienced. If it was not for Brian and pushing me up this climb it would have taken me longer than the 2 hours and 15 minutes that took to make the climb. Reddish Knob was about the same incline but was only a little less than 5 miles long. After the climb up to Little Bald Knob, every other climb seemed simple to climb. As I made my way to the turn around it was around 4-5am and I began to catch myself swaying back and forth across the trail trying to keep myself awake. At this point in the race I was using every bit of energy to try and stay awake. I did not want to fall asleep on the side of the trail or at an aid station, because I knew I would not finish the race. When I arrived at each peak of the climbs the wind was howling, and the temperature seemed to be in the low 40s. Keep in mind this is after half of the night when it down poured.

When I arrived at the turn around at mile 51.56 the sun started to rise, and I felt a second wind and it felt like a whole new race had begun. The night was finally over, and I could finally see the valley below. The day brought a new group of people that I would run with for the rest of the race. From the turnaround back to North River Gap aid station, where I would be able to meet up with my dad again was a pleasant and easy run. When I met up with my dad again at mile 65.65 I swopped out my shoes and socks along with a new shirt. He was then able to pace me to the next aid station about 6 miles away.





When we made it to the aid station he turned around to get the van in order to meet me at the next point in the race that I would need him the most (the last 5 miles). The real story begins when I reached the final 20 miles. At mile 80 was aid station 13 at Dowells Draft. Here I met Dr. Horton, Chris Bernard, and Brenton Swyers for the last time. They were shocked to see me and how well I looked. They gave me a ton of encouragement and wisdom. Horton asking if i was suffering yet and that if i havent yet that i will in the last 20 miles. Then Chris paced me about a quarter of a mile away from the aid station just to get me going again. In the last 20 miles there would be 2 more climbs of around 5 miles with 2500 feet each of climbing straight up. At this point in the race I was already past my longest time ever running, which was Hellgate 100k (about 14 and half hours), and longest distance which was also Hellgate 100k (66.6 miles). My mind started to settle into hallucinations of seeing trees that looked like people, seeing stuff coming out of the ground that almost scared me off the trail, and seeing other objects run quickly across the trail. I thought I was going nuts!! But I guess that’s what happens when you have your eyes open after 20+ hours and over 80 miles of running. After making it to the top of the final 2 climbs I felt a third wind, as I continued to run with Dan Spearin, and Jeff Lysiak. We began to run sub 8 minute miles! Which is crazy because we were averaging 15 minute miles through the entire race up until this point. I only lasted around 12 miles of doing this until I settled back into my original pace with about 6 miles to go.

The final 5 miles of the race my dad met up with me. I seriously believe if he had not paced me in to the finish I would not have found the finish line on my own. The final 5 miles seemed like the longest part of the race. With 1.5 miles left I fell on my face after tripping over a rock. With 1 mile left I began to bash my dad, not realizing what I was doing. At one point I said to him “where are you taking me!?” I was completely out of it. Then it came, Hope Lake! The most beautiful sight in the world, then I knew the finish was near.  I came into the shoot yelling my bib number 15. Clark on his megaphone saying my name, cheers from other runners who had finished before me and applaud from other volunteers. It was the most emotional moment in the race for me as I cried realizing what I had just accomplished and what perseverance I put myself through to do this race. I finished in 25 hours 28 minutes and 17 seconds. 





My emotional, physical, and spiritual levels were put to a completely new high during Grindstone 100. This race was absolutely amazing. I was the youngest runner to start/finish this year’s race. I am also the youngest to be competing in the Beast Series this year. I am completely thankful for all of the aid station crews and volunteers. They were absolutely amazing during the race with all of their encouragement and help. Thank you too everyone for your prayers and encouragement to see me through this huge accomplishment! Thank you Clark Zealand for such a great race and your Godly influence, this race has been a great experience for me. 





In loving memory of #MajorDonahue82




First 70 miles before my watch died:

No comments:

Post a Comment